Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Quick Trip to Columbus...

Tuesday morning I shared the news with Isabella that were going to go to Columbus. She immediately got a giant smile on her face and started jumping up and down saying, "Columbus! Columbus! Now grandpa can see how pretty I am!" Um, okay. If only I had even a bit of her self-esteem. I proceeded to rush around throwing a few things in bags so that we could head out. This whole time Isabella was saying, "okay mommy, I'm ready! Are we going to Columbus? Are you ready yet mommy? When are we going to Columbus?" Next time I won't tell her until we're five minutes from my grandparent's house.

We piled into the car and I needed to stop at the pharmacy and also to get coffee before we got on the freeway. Isaac started screaming because he doesn't like when the car stops and then Isabella started screaming, "ISAAC STOP SCREAMING, I CAN'T SLEEP! MOMMY ISAAC WON'T STOP SCREAMING! BE QUIET ISAAC, YOU'RE FINE! YOU'RE OKAY, JUST STOP SCREAMING!" Oh dear, we weren't even a mile from home and I was tense already because this was my first trip alone with the two kids. Thankfully though, Isaac calmed down once we got on the freeway and they were both great for the rest of the trip.

About fifteen minutes into the drive, I decided it was time to drink my coffee, and boy was I excited to drink my coffee. It was already 11:00 a.m. and I hadn't had any caffeine yet. So, I picked up my coffee cup and saw a puddle of coffee in the cup holder. WHAT??? Panic strikes (I know, I'm being a bit dramatic, but I really needed that coffee) and I realize that my cup was leaking from the side. Quickly I consider my options: stop and get another cup of coffee...no, both kids are happy and I don't want to ruin that; use a burp cloth...no, I only brought one with me and I'll need it later; pull over on the side of the road figure it out...no, that's too dangerous; clearly, my only option was to diaper my coffee cup (probably equally as dangerous as just pulling over, but I am an expert at putting diapers on therefore I can do it single handed)...
pretty good don't you think?

We were going to Columbus for two reasons: to see my grandparents (my grandpa hadn't met Isaac yet) and also for my cousin's baby's baby dedication (wow, that was a mouthful). Isaac fell in love with my grandparents and it was so sweet to see my two children with those who are most special to me. Here are some pictures documenting our trip:  



















Oh man, I started to cry while putting those pictures in. I miss you guys already. I love you so much and I am so thankful that Isabella and Isaac are getting to know you.

Isabella was very excited to see Maresa (my cousin) and they had lots of fun running around, eating goldfish crackers and climbing big rocks...



Christina and Tom had a very nice baby dedication ceremony for Leo. They each wrote something for him and shared that with everyone who attended. After Leo's dedication ceremony, Christina was baptised! Congratulations Christina!







All in all, we were in Columbus for less than twenty-four hours. It was a quick trip but totally worth it. I'm thankful that Isaac and Isabella did so well in the car and that we returned home safely...to a clean kitchen. Apparently Walter was very busy while we were gone. He cleaned the kitchen, re-arranged Isabella's little people table (I'll have to tell you more about that later), and, drum roll please...made zucchini bread! I know, pretty crazy!

****************************************************************



No comments:

Post a Comment