Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Goodbye, Favorite Jeans

Today I was cleaning out my closet, finally getting rid of the pile of clothing that I'm so sure I'm going to wear one day, when in reality, I haven't touched them for two years so it's just not going to happen. During this process, I found my second favorite pair of jeans. Now, you are well aware, no matter what your size is, it's hard to find that perfect pair of pants that hugs all of curves in just the right places. Okay, whatever, I don't have any curves, so, that perfect pair of pants that stays up and makes it look like I actually have a butt.

I had to get rid of my first favorite pair last year. They were getting holes in all the wrong places, and I'd been wearing them since high school, so they had a long life. My second favorite pair, has quite the story:

I found them about four years ago, at the Gap. Perfect size, perfect length, expensive, but whatever, they fit. Well, after wearing them for a few months, they started getting hole and I was very mad about this. I went to the Gap and told them that this was unacceptable. They agreed to replace my jeans but didn't have that same exact wash/style.  I agreed when they assured me that the new pair would be basically the same. The only catch, I had to hand over my holey jeans. I reluctantly gave them my jeans, hoping that the new pair would be as similar as they promised. As you can probably guess, they weren't. And I was terribly disappointed. Meanwhile, I'd been sharing my sad jean story with anyone who would listen, or at least pretend to listen. There may have even been tears involved. I couldn't forget this amazing pair of pants, so I went back to the Gap and asked them for my holey pants back. They thought I was crazy, and I'm laughing thinking about. But I told them the whole story, and how I really just wanted my pants back even though they had holes in them. Seeing my distress over this situation, one of the sales ladies told me that she wasn't supposed to say anything, but my mom came in and bought back my jeans (with the holes) and was going to give them to me for Christmas.

That made me super excited, and I couldn't wait to open presents. Christmas came, and obviously the whole time all I wanted was to open a package and see my jeans, but they weren't there! All of the presents were opened and I still hadn't found my jeans! What kind of cruel joke was this? I was very disappointed, and later that night asked my mom where my jeans were because I was told I was going to get them back for Christmas. She said she'd changed her mind and decided to get something else for me. What? This couldn't be happening? I'd waited so long to reunite with my perfect pair of pants! Thankfully, she still had them, and gave them to me anyway, and I was one very happy person. Over the next few months, they got about five more holes in them, and I patched up each one, thinking I was really cool wearing my patchwork pants. Then, after one too many holes in the butt, I had to stop wearing them. I think Walter was probably glad. I got pregnant with Isaac anyway, so it was time for them to retire. Obviously, I saved them, and excitedly put them on today, and Isabella burst out laughing and told me they were the funniest pants she'd ever seen.

Goodbye, Best Jeans Ever (despite the fact that you had so many holes which let's admit, only added to your charm).

p.s. please don't judge me for being so unnecessarily attached to a pair of pants.

4 comments:

  1. I love the Christmas story, I had forgotten about that one! Your mom is so sneaky :)
    I, personally, have never found the perfect pair of pants, so I can only imagine the wonderment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some favorite jeans that make yours look new. Brian cracks up every time I wear them. I even have this idea pinned of how to patch them in a creative way.

    And seriously, I know exactly what you mean about finding that perfect pair of jeans. My perfect pair is starting to become not fit to wear in public. I am dreading shopping for a new pair. This is exactly why I usually buy multiples when I find something I like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After we went down to one income, I decided to do most of our clothes shopping at thrift stores. I have been delighted to find several pairs of jeans I LOVE that are nicely broken in and comfy, have already gone through the shrinkage process from multiple launderings, (this is probably how they ended up at Goodwill!) and best of all, cost only $2 or $3 each. These were my post-pregnancy jeans I bought last fall. They are now a little too loose at the waist, but I like them so much better than most of my pre-pregnancy jeans that I have conceded to wearing them with belts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sierra,

    I had forgotten about buying back your holey jeans from the Gap! I am happy that they made you so happy!

    I have a collection of jeans so please don't get rid of them send them over to my pile! My creative spirit is going to my jeans project next year which is very soon!

    Love you,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete