Thursday, December 22, 2011

Sleep Study: A Success!

I may not be able to write a focused post because I'm feeling very hyper after our first P90X workout. That was Walter's Christmas present (because I'm such an amazing wife) and he gets the privilege of working out with me, which, after tonight, may destroy my marriage. I like to be motivating and shout out things with Tony Horton...not cool, according to Walter. Some of my favorite phrases: Feel the BURN! X Factor! and BRING IT! Non of which are appreciated by my workout partner...sigh.

So anyway, in the time not spent working on my six pack (totally kidding), I've been making numerous phone calls to line up Isaac's next few months of appointments, and Isaac and I had a super fun sleep study the other day.


Man, someone needs to talk to that kid's parents. He must be neglected since his fingernails are so dirty!




Thankfully we were able to get a follow-up appointment with the Sleep Doctor the day after the study was done. Unfortunately, the results were worse than I thought they would be. As in, Isaac has some serious air flow/breathing issues. He has what is called, Severe Obstructive Apnea with Hypoventilation. Basically this means that he is retaining too much carbon dioxide during sleep and his body is working way too hard to maintain the limited air flow that he has. The good news is that he maintains his levels well when he is awake. And all of that means that we need to have his tonsils out, attempt using a CPAP machine after the tonsils are out, then do another sleep study to see if there was an improvement, and then discuss options with the ENT and Craniofacial team. We're praying that removing the tonsils will eliminate the need for more serious surgeries, but it sounds like our little guy has a hard road ahead.

*********************************************************************************

Isabella and I have had some interesting discussions lately:

"Mommy, how do turkeys and chickens die?"
"Um, do we really have to talk about this?"
"Well, I just want to know how they get dead."
"Chickens usually get their head chopped off."
"Then how do they get put back together."
"Um....they don't. That's when you go to store and buy chicken for dinner."

"Mommy, there's a squirrel's tail on the other side of the road."
"Mmmhmmm."
"Well, what happens to the squirrel after is loses it's tail."
"That squirrel was probably run over by a car."
"Right. And now it's dead."
"Pretty much."

Yeah, I'm pretty much horrible when it comes to not telling the truth about these things. But hey, she's going to find out one way or another.

And on that note, I'm going to finish up this post because we have some presents to wrap!



1 comment:

  1. I love your honesty with Isabella :) You should have heard me trying to explain to Maya why my dad was crying at a gift we gave him that reminded him of his mom (who passed away from cancer when I was in middle school). I think she was more confused after she asked than before!

    Also, I'm so glad that Isaac's sleep study has given you some answers, even if they're not the ones you were hoping for. You guys are amazing.

    ReplyDelete