Sunday, January 8, 2012

random topics

Last month I decided that I should try to be more of a candle person. Not sure why. Candles usually give me a headache but I thought they could give my house a glowy (not a word) and homey atmosphere. So, I risked my life and went to Bath and Body Works. I think it'd been at least ten years since I made the plunge to walk into the migraine inducing store that smells like a bunch of grandmas who just put on their perfume. Well, I did end up finding a few scents that didn't knock me over with disgust (I'm the person who stands in the Target aisle trying to find a candle and repeatedly says, out loud, "ew that's gross, why would anyone buy that").

Everyone is asking if we're following the diet that goes along with P90X. No. We're not. First of all, I'm not trying to lose weight. If I got any smaller, I wouldn't be able to find pants that fit without a wearing a belt, and if there one thing I can't stand, it's wearing a belt. Secondly, I have a very special relationship with carbs. We're best friends and you just can't ruin a relationship like that. 

Isaac got another hair cut! It's much shorter than we've ever had it cut, but we both really like it. And we left enough length at the top so that he can hold his bangs for comfort.  

He has some pretty amazing tongue skills. Walter and I have tried to imitate what Isaac does with his tongue and so far, we've had very little success. 


Maya and Isabella had a pretty rough play date last week. That night we started a devotional and the first lesson was very appropriately, Selfishness. One of the follow-up questions was, Can you remember a time when you were selfish? "When Maya was here today." Yep. What a star-student!






"Isabella, why are you running around in circles?" 
"Oh. Well, I'm showing my invisible friends, the ones you can't see but I can, how to run and how to flap their wings like monarch butterflies." 
"Okay."



"Well, I think I've decided not to exercise tonight."
"Mommy, you should exercise. It's good for you!"



Isabella: "Okay! I have my clothes on!"
Me: "That is a very interesting outfit." 
Isabella: "Don't say 'interesting', say 'beautiful'!"



"Mommy, earlier when I went potty and I got up, I saw this bleed on my wrist and I was like, maybe my arm is going to break off." 


Oh man, that girl cracks me up and drives us crazy all at the same time. Walter can't understand why she has to change outfits a million times a day (the plight of being a female), why she cries about everything, and why it's so important that she wear tights with her cowgirl boots. Obviously babe, she can't have her boots scrunching up her pant legs. Duh. 







From, Unexpected Journey: When Special Needs Changes Our Course


"SPECIAL NEEDS" are two words that conjure up countless thoughts and emotions.

Webster defines special as "uncommon, noteworthy, particularly favored, individual, unique, extra, additional, confined to or designated for a definite field of action, purpose, or occasion." He defines needs as "obligation, a lack of something requisite, desirable, or useful; a condition requiring supply or relief; to be in want or under obligation." One step further requires us to find out what Mr. Webster defines as disabled because some challenge whether particular factors render a person disabled. So for the sake of discussion, and all being on the same page, we'll go with Webster's definition, "incapacitated by illness, injury, or wounds; physically or mentally impaired.

[end quote]

And if you read nothing else today, read this wonderful blog post.

Isaac is making some amazing progress! Sure, I wish he were born with those eighteen genes he's missing on his ninth chromosome, but he's starting to meet some milestones and Walter and I are both really excited about it. Another thing I'm especially excited about, is a new level of bonding between Isaac and Walter.


A while ago I started listing "gifts' or things I'm thankful for, and I got quite off track. So let's start over.

Gratitude for the seemingly insignificant--a seed--this plants the giant miracle. The miracle of eucharisteo, like the Last Supper, is in the eating of crumbs, the swallowing down one mouthful. Do not disdain the small. The whole of the life--even the hard--is made of of the minute parts, and if I miss the infinitesimals, I miss the whole. These are new language lessons, and I live them out. There is a way to live the big of giving thanks in all things. It is this: to give thanks in this one small thing. The moments will add up. One Thousand Gifts A Dare To Live Fully Right Where You Are


1. Buzz Light Year saying, "My eyeballs could have been sucked out!" Gets me every time.
2. a late night game of Sequence with Walter (and Isaac)
3. Isaac's nearly perfect pronunciation of 'ball'
4. Isabella in her cowgirl boots
5. the care Isabella takes in answering her devotional questions
6. Isaac at PT
7. a perfect loaf of bread
8. laughing about a "not so perfect" loaf of bread
9. the little girl singing her heart out behind us at church
10. Isaac standing
11. my vacuum
12. watching Isaac while he had his hair cut and how he held onto to his bangs for dear life
13. visiting my grandpa
14. listening to my grandma talk about love
15. holding Walter's hand
16. Isabella eating a boat load of the gross breakfast custard I attempted to make
17. home made Cincinnati Chili (America's Test Kitchen)
18. Sunday dinner
19. my brother's girlfriend allowing Isabella to repeatedly poke her in the face saying she was "sucking nectar" off of her
20. Isabella telling me I'm the best mommy she "never did have".
21. Pandora
22. nap time
23. my friend, Michelle, helping us set up PECS for Isaac
24. Walter attempting to explain to me how to use Lightroom on both of our computers and transfer files
25. watching Damages with Walter and then analyzing it as if it is really important to our lives
26. Isaac trying to hook up his feeding tube on his own
27. bath time
28. sleeping in (never thought I would say that, but at this point in my life, it's important)
29. Isaac saying, 'uh-oh'
30. the fact that my kids are amazing travelers


1 comment:

  1. Love Isaac's hair ~ he looks even more like Walter now, I think! I really like the second picture of Isabella ~ her eyes are so beautiful!

    So glad you are starting the Thousand Gifts back up :)

    ReplyDelete