Tuesday, November 29, 2011

on being interrogated by a very small person...

Have you ever been interrogated by a four year old? It's pretty intense, and goes something like this:

I'm really thirsty and need a drink of water!
I'm sorry, I don't have any water right now, you'll have to wait until we get home.
Why don't you have any water?! I'm REALLY thirsty!
We'll be home in a few minutes. You're being rude.
But I'm SOOOOO thirsty. WHY didn't you bring water. We had water earlier. Where is that water?
You drank all of it. I'm done having this conversation.
WHAT?! HOW did I drink all of that water. I can't drink a whole bottle of water! 
I don't like the way you are talking. It wasn't a whole bottle of water and yes, you drank all of it.
I'm just REALLY thirsty. WHY don't you have any water! 


And on and on and on, until my very own child sounds like the spoiled brat who belongs to a millionaire. What's the end of that story? She had a drink of water and then went to her room.

Yesterday I was having one of my mean mommy days. It started when we all woke up way too early and didn't end until after I'd read a very angry rendition of Brown Bear, Brown Bear and put Isabella to bed. (Seriously Eric Carle, what were you thinking? A purple horse, what are you trying to teach my kids. And then on top of that, I have to repeat the same dumb phrase over and over again).

Apparently I was the only parent at Isabella's preschool who didn't know there was NO SCHOOL yesterday. So there we were, lined up for drop off, minus the line of course because we were the only people there. I quickly realized my error and had to break the news to Isabella that there would be no school.

But WHY isn't there any school?
I guess because of the holiday.
But I WANT to go to school today. I HAVE to go to school today!
Okay, well, there isn't any school today so we're going to go home. But you'll get to got to ballet later!
BWAAAWWWAAA (that's her crying and melting down) But there are other cars here so that means I have school. 
No, these cars are other people who work at the church.
But Oma ALWAYS waits so that I can go into school.
AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH (that's me screaming silently in head) Well, I would wait too if YOU WERE ACTUALLY GOING TO HAVE SCHOOL TODAY!
But why don't I have school today? Why isn't my teacher here? We have to wait for my teacher! 


And then later when we were driving to the grocery store after Isaac's feeding therapy, Isabella was once again complaining about being sweaty (surprise, surprise)...

"Mommy, I really need to wear shorts today."
"Isabella, it is winter, you can't wear shorts."
"BUT I'M SWEATY! My back is sweaty, my legs are sweaty, my arms are sweaty."
"Isabella, right now I don't care if you're sweaty. You're not even wearing a jacket so I don't know how you could possibly be sweaty." (right there, example of mean mommy moment)
"Well I care. I care about everything that goes on with my body."

And then as we were on our way home from the grocery store, we had a very honest discussion about my mean mommy day...

"Mommy, I really love you. And I would really appreciate if you would talk in a nice voice and not be mean."
"Isabella, I really love you too, but today you are really frustrating me and I am also very tired so I am having a really hard time being patient."

After that, our afternoon got a little bit better, but it was a long day, and I couldn't wait for bedtime. I can't stand days like this. It's like we get in a cycle that neither one of us can get out of. You know how when your spouse irritates you and then everything they do for the rest of the day irritates you, and then they inevitably get mad at you about something later? It's like that.

Isaac's feeding appointment went really well and I feel like we made a very small break through. His task was to play with water on the high chair tray, sounds easy, right? Not if you're afraid to touch the water! Anyway, we finally got to the point where I was using my finger to put little drops of water on his lips and then his therapist would blow bubbles as a reward. This is big, people! Amazing in fact that he didn't scream when I touched the water to his lips. I was excited and it was the best part of yesterday...aside from finally getting to go to bed, even if it was for only an hour and then Isaac was up coughing.


Cruisin' around in the gait trainer...


The kids had tons of fun helping Walter put together some new shelves for Isabella's room...

















Happy Tuesday! 


Sierra

1 comment:

  1. Oh my how I remember those days! PTSD for mommyhood! You describe it so well. I remember one day in particular, I just broke down and cried because I was so tired and I didn't know what else I could do to make anyone mildly happy. I completely understand. Hugs to the Mommy,

    Love you,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete