Monday, November 7, 2011

one year and lazy days...

Isaac had his one year follow up appointment with Dr. Gosain on Friday. Everything went really well and he was happy with how well his skull is forming at one year post-op. There are some abnormalities on his forehead, which should work themselves out as he gets older, and especially once the dissolving plates dissolve completely. And the spacing at the top of his skull is in pretty good shape considering the amount of reconstruction he had done. I was at a baby shower a couple months ago when someone said, "did you know he has a bump on his head?" "Oh, yeah, that just a screw, there's one on the other side too." 

As of today, Isaac no longer resembles Einstein (quite as much). Sorry mom, Walter was threatening to cut Isaac's hair, and I told him that if he did, I would move into a hotel for a week, and he would pay for it (obviously). So for the sake of my marriage, I got his hair but. I also told Walter before our wedding that if he smashed cake in my face, I would take my sister on our honeymoon instead of him. I wasn't joking. I don't joke about things like that. Thankfully we skipped the whole cake cutting thing altogether. 

So anyway, he got a trim today. Nothing drastic. And no, I didn't keep a lock of hair. I'm not really sentimental about things like that, and I know his hair is always going to be curly, so it doesn't matter if he loses a bit of it. I'll share pictures later. These ones are from Friday. 


Isabella talks nonstop. She wakes up talking, goes to sleep talking, even talks in her sleep. Honestly, I don't know how anyone can stand to talk that much and some days it feels like my ears and my head are going explode. I definitely don't like talking as much as Isabella. I like quiet and I like my own space. And when you have children, guess what, there is no such thing as personal space. Maybe things change as your children get older, but during this stage, someone always needs holding, or a hug, or food, or can't resist accompanying you to the bathroom, or banging down the door while you try to relax in a hot bath. Nope, personal space is gone. And I'm pretty sure Isaac has some sort special radar that sends a signal, even when in a deep sleep, that I'm sitting down to eat. Inevitably, I get that first bite on fork, make myself comfortable, and he starts crying. Sometimes Walter walks in the door after work and asks why I'm so grumpy, and the answer is usually because I've hardly had a chance to eat anything all day. And if I did get a chance, I was sitting on floor with Isaac and eating at the same time. Clearly, Isaac loves me a lot and being two feet apart, can be tough for him. He's pretty possessive.

To make Isabella's trip to Dr. Gosain's office worthwhile, I decided we'd go to one of those frozen yogurt shops. We had fun and she was quite excited for an impromptu treat.




Isaac doesn't appreciate frozen yogurt. Frozen yogurt = torture


He recovered...






I owe Walter a big thank you for staying up with Isaac on Friday and Saturday nights. I needed sleep. The kids and I enjoyed a couple lazy mornings while Walter caught up on the sleep he missed at night, when normal people are supposed to be sleeping, but for some reason, Isaac likes to hang out.

"Look mommy! I trapped Isaac!"








"Isaac, can you find the bunny"...


He will not point to objects in books, it's something we're working on because you don't realize how many little things go into communication skills. But here he is moving his hand up and down in a hopping motion...


Isaac loves Stella and often thinks that Stella is chasing him when really she's just walking across the room. And Stella, is very protective of her boy...



A morning hug for daddy...


I have to credit Walter for fixing a big red/dark spot under Isabella nose. She had a bit of a cold last week and I didn't want to lose this picture. But I also don't have enough patience to do extensive editing. It annoys me. So I make Walter do it.


This month and next month will be quite busy. Isaac will start going to the new feeding clinic, follow up GI appointment, he'll have a neurology consult, CT and another appointment with Dr. Gosain, we'll see a new endocrinologist this week and hopefully find out why some his related lab work was abnormal, a sleep study (that should be fun, right?), PT, the surgery for his mini button and we're hoping a tonsillectomy as well.

I feel like this was a really disjointed post but sometimes I sit down planning to write one thing, and something entirely different comes out.

Until next time,

Sierra

1 comment:

  1. Holy busy month! Obviously let me know if you need someone to watch Isabella :) She can explain to Maya how nice I am!

    The picture of Isaac and Stella almost touching noses made me laugh out loud :)

    ReplyDelete