Thursday, November 3, 2011

a day to celebrate (or so I thought)...

Many people have asked if as a result of the overnight feedings with the g-tube, Isaac is sleeping better. The answer is, no. Sleep has been horrible and I feel that I may soon die from sleep deprivation. I'm feeling a bit dramatic right now, can you tell? This morning I was walking around the house like a zombie, wishing that Isabella had school today so that I could drop her off, come home, and crawl back into bed.

It's been hard lately to be patient with Isabella. I swear she was born with some sort extra internal heating device that we don't know about. Every day (I'm not kidding) in the car, the store, the house..."I'm sweaty, I'm really really sweaty. I'm too hot. AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH I'm sweatin'. MOMMY, I'm so sweaty. It's too hot." And if we're in the car she starts squirming and moving around in her seat as if an enormous can of spiders has been let loose on a mission to specifically attack her and her alone. It's horrible. So the other day Walter and I were joking around in the front seat of the car about how on earth she is so sweaty and Isabella responded: "I'm hot because that's the way God made me." And then later, "I NEED SOMEONE TO UN-SWEAT ME!" So even when it's cold outside, I have the air on in the car because Isaac doesn't like the back windows open, and I just can't handle both of them screaming!

This afternoon was hard and I'll tell you why, but first of all, I was geared up to write this post and celebrate the fact that Isaac is one year post-op from major craniofacial reconstruction...until Walter informed me that I had the date wrong, and it was yesterday, not tomorrow. Wow do I feel horrible. All this time I was planning for tomorrow and I was going to get a cake for us (not for Isaac of course, he would think I was trying to torture him), I even considered making a cake, which I totally don't do because I don't really like to bake. Ask Sarah. I don't how she does it, but she can on a whim, whip up a batch of chocolate chip cookies, and she has three kids. So anyway, I feel like a horrible person because I forgot the date of my son's most important surgery--yay, go me!

And add to that, we met friends at the park this afternoon and we arrived early so I was swinging Isaac (while he was hooked up to a feeding with his handy dandy backpack) and the whole time I was watching this one little girl walk around the park and climb on stuff and point to stuff, when she walked over to the swings with her dad, and he said, "oh look, you finally found someone at the park who is younger than you!" I said, "she's really cute, how old is she?" "Sixteen months, how old is your baby?" "He'll be nineteen months next week." And then he walked away, and then I cried. I know, I have to get over it. It's going to be this way for the rest of his life and I can't compare him to other people. The thing is, when you're at home, doing your thing and in your own little world, it's fine, and we don't really think about it. But when we go to story-time, or the park, it's a big fat reminder that this is our life. And I know it could be much worse, and I hate having pity parties for myself.

So on a lighter note, Isaac's favorite brand of pink bouncy seat was make famous in the opening scene of Parenthood on Tuesday night. Did you see it? Pretty cool, right?

We took a trip to the park yesterday too. It ended very unpleasantly, but at least it looks like we had fun.



When Isaac is really into something he flaps his arms and legs up and down, at the same time, over and over again. Did I mention he has a six pack?




Picking up gravel that has probably been pooped on by geese...




I have to trick her into having her picture taken...





When I'm exhausted, I walk into my bedroom and see this...


And then I wish I were a dog. Don't make fun of my sheets. They were on sale.









Isaac thinks peek a boo is the most hilarious game ever invented...


Look who's standing!



Isaac's thinking, "dude, you really don't want to eat that leaf"....


Now I'm going to bed. But first, the best quotes from Mad Men...

"Mommy, I'm bored."
"Then go bang your head against the wall."

and

(Old lady walking down the hall pulling her cart of groceries while her husband stands outside their apartment yelling down the hall at her)

"Did you get the pears?"
....
"Did you get the pears?"
....
"Did you get the pears?"
"We'll discuss it inside." 

I wonder what 'pears' was a code name for? 



3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I can't believe I forgot Isaac's surgiversary! That was such an incredibly stressful day and looking back I can't even remember what we did for those many hours...still can't imagine how difficult that day must have been for you and Walter. Did I ever tell you that I totally broke down at one point? I was a crying mess ~ was on the phone with my mom and she couldn't even understand what I was saying. Anyway, yay for being a year post-op! Maybe I will make you some cookies tomorrow :) I do have some pumpkin in my fridge that needs to be used up...

    It's ok to cry, it's ok to be sad. I would add a "but..." here but it's not needed. You know the positives, you know Isaac is an amazing little guy and that your family is perfect for him and all that. It's ok to be sad.

    I love that Isaac is wearing a "Toy Story" shirt in the park pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally that guy at the park. I try to make conversation and be social but just end up being an idiot (though I don't approach random women in public for fear of making them cry).

    I say stupid things all the time, actually. For example, the other day I told someone I liked her new hair color and she reacted strangely (I thought). Apparently when you get older, you don't dye your hair for fun. Sarah suggested that I probably wasn't supposed to notice. Oops.

    Or that *one* time I thought telling a pregnant woman that she didn't look very pregnant would be a compliment. "Oh, so I'm just fat?" Uhhhhh no. Crap. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sierra,

    The week has been so busy with Grandpa I knew the Anniversary was this week I just lost track of which day. I'm sorry, because I would have gotten cake for all of us to celebrate one year post op. So expect cake sometime soon!

    I cry on occassion too. Sometimes it just comes. The other day I was on tour looking at homes and got out of the car and saw Marj and she said how are you, how is little Isaac doing, suddenly out of the blue I said Marj I think I'm going to cry and I completely broke down sobbing in Marj's arms in the middle of a driveway.

    Isaac is a special little guy and yes when we are all to ourselves we forget what other little ones his age are doing because each of his accomplishments are special no matter how small.

    You are a wonderful mom and it is okay to cry and be sad.

    Next week I will help you so you can get some sleep...

    Love to you,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete