Wednesday, March 20, 2013

My story, Isabella's story...

A few people have asked why I haven't written a blog post recently. I don't have a good answer other than, I've been stuck in a book, my computer died, came back to life, died again, and came back to life again, and I live with incredibly needy people and will be so happy when one day, they can hunt, gather, and prepare their own food.

Stuck in a Book

If you haven't read it, you should: The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey. Basically, it's a novel about Alaskan homesteaders in the 1920s. Following a friend's recommendation, I added it to my Nook, and was gripped with intrigue from the first few pages. Did you like that, gripped with intrigue. What does that even mean? Anyway, the premise of the story comes from a Russian fairy tale, which you can read at this LINK. The author has an amazing ability to set you, the reader (assuming you are going to read it), in the Alaskan wilderness in a way that you can really imagine the harsh elements and all that the early homesteaders had to endure. Along with all of that, the story centers around an elderly couple who bear the burden of years of sorrow after losing a child and never being able to conceive again. Hence, the child, they construct out of snow. And now you're convinced and have to read it. I can't write anymore about that because Isaac, sitting next to me at the table, trying to poop, is seriously interrupting my creative writing flow--You can do it Bud, push! Get the poop out! Now you can see why it is so challenging to get a post done.

Death of a Computer (and Rebirth)

Last week my computer started to sound like a police siren. It would stop for a few minutes at a time, so  I checked email, facebook, and a few blogs. Then the siren got really mad and wouldn't shut up, so I had to shut down my computer. Thankfully, Walter was able to fix it, and Shakespeare and I were back in business. Yes, my computer's name is Shakespeare. My last computer was named Hemingway, but he's in Columbus with my grandma. Well, then Shakespeare decided he didn't like how the screen worked and decided to just turn black and not do anything. I'm not sure what Walter did, but so far so good. I think I'll name my next computer after a female author.

Hunting and Gathering

I am so tired of people asking me for food. It literally drives me crazy and one day I will be in a mental hospital and the basis of my insanity will be on people asking me for snacks.

Last week Isabella and I were practicing words ending with -nt, like, hunt. She said, "Like, hunt ducks on Duck Dynasty?" Just like it. Every time we watch that show, we think of my grandpa, who did not hunt ducks, he hunted deer, turkey, and squirrels, but who would have gotten such a kick out of watching Duck Dynasty. Especially the episode where the wives went deer hunting with their husbands.



Isabella plays outside even when it's raining. I stay inside, and take pictures from the window.

Isaac, dancing

I had to tackle her for this picture...

Lego engineer, hard at work...

Isabella just showed a story to me that she wrote:

The Bear That ate The dog
by Isabella

The Bear wet for a woc. Then The Bear soy a dog. The Bear ate the dog. The end.

I think Isabella's story is written better than my post. Probably because she didn't have people pooping, doing math, and asking for a snack, and asking for help putting on boots and coat to play outside, while she wrote it. 


2 comments:

  1. I love Isabella's story!

    I hope that Isaac has pooped by now :)

    One day I think i will just dump a bunch of food on the floor and let the littles have at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's for dinner?

    Anyway, heard that Duck Dynasty is pretty popular. Never heard of it til 3 weeks ago when a woman told me that it's her favorite show on TV.

    ReplyDelete