Sunday, July 1, 2012

Summer

I am a very slow blogger lately. I have self-diagnosed myself with tendinitis in my right arm. Dr. Google is always so helpful. So, I tend to stay off the computer otherwise my arm is useless for the next couple hours. Just for you, I'll suffer through the pain and give you a family update...just kidding, it's not like I'm dying.

Sarah and I are really enjoying our ballet class. No, we do not wear leotards. I'm pretty sure once we can actually balance on one foot they'll include us in a performance or two.

Isabella and I survived our first week of homeschooling. We've only started math. I think she needs a little review, or catch up, or whatever you want to call it, I'm fairly certain she inherited my anti-math gene. That's a major bummer, and I feel bad for her. But we'll work to reverse that tear and embarrassment inducing gene. I know a lot of people think I'm crazy for keeping her at home for Kindergarten but, I'm sorry, I'm not going to send her to school for an entire day of Kindergarten that can be completed in two to three hours. Also, spending a whole day alone with Isaac isn't all that appealing. No offense to him, but he is much happier with his sister around to follow and play with. We are using the Kindergarten Memoria Press Curriculum, you can check it out here. It's super easy because they already have all of the lesson plans written out, with corresponding page numbers to the books and worksheets.

If you want to check out what I do every Saturday, go here to see the latest pictures from weddings I've second shot with Andrew. The first picture from Lauren and Matt's post, is one that I took! On wedding days, Walter and the kids have managed pretty well without me. They go to the zoo, play outside, eat ice cream, and watch the Woodpecker show.

Here's Mr. Grumps, as we've affectionately called him after a few really grumpy weeks. Walter jokes that Isaac is unhappy if it is over 72 degrees outside. It's going to be a long summer. After a string of terrible nights, Isaac spent two nights at my parent's house and apparently took that as his opportunity to catch up on sleep. Grrr.








The two things that generally cure a bad mood are playing catch, and reading. If I would sit on the floor and throw a ball back and forth to him all day, he'd be one happy guy.



"Mommy, today is probably a very good day for me to have a lemonade stand."
"Well, let's pick a day when it's not quite so hot."
"But you're supposed to have a lemonade stand when it's hot."
"I know, but that means that we all have to sit outside, and you know your brother won't be happy about that! And, we don't have all of the ingredients to make lemonade."
"Mommy! You don't need ingredients! You just buy it in the box at the store and then pour it in cups! Papa and Gar have that kind and it is sooo delicious."



Thus far, I think our summer has gone pretty well. We've spent a lot of times with friends, and had friends over quite a bit. A trip to the local pool didn't go very well. Isaac was certain we were torturing him and for about forty-five minutes he sat just outside of the zero entry, hunched over, still as a statue, and pulled his hair. Isabella had fun though. We don't have much of garden this year, and due to my lack of care for watering my daisies, they are dead. Walter suggested that I could water them, but really, I just don't care. And we agreed, by the time we pull out the hose and turn the water on, Isaac is falling apart, so what's the point? Isabella goes to camp every Wednesday morning, and seems to have fun, but camp is top secret so I don't hear much about it. Isaac has a list of appointments for July so we're gearing up for that, including a consult with a new ENT who is said to have techniques to diagnose swallow issues that don't include actually swallowing food. Isaac will now stand and walk (backward) with a push toy, he learns new signs each week, and I've been making a concerted effort to have him practice moving his mouth in different ways to make different noises. He's gotten very good at blowing and sometimes puts his lips together whereas his mouth usually hangs open. Isabella can now identify a trapezoid, rhombus, parallelogram, and hexagon. She talks non stop and lately I've overheard her telling Isaac that if he doesn't stop crying, he's going to his room. I've had to remind her that she is not the mommy.

Happy Fourth of July!

Sierra

1 comment:

  1. Love that picture of Isabella with a flower headband!

    Oh, Isaac :) I'm glad he's been in a better mood for you since this post! :D

    I'm totally looking forward to our recital ;)

    ReplyDelete