Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Isabella

As I was cooking dinner last night, I realized that I am quick to share Isaac's accomplishments and challenges on my blog, but often leave out all of the wonderful things that Isabella has accomplished. So, despite the fact that we have exciting news to share about Isaac (he's walking) , this post is about Isabella.

I really feel for this girl sometimes. In her little, five year old body, she can in the matter of one minute, experience elation and quickly shift to devastation. It's like witnessing the worst PMS you've ever had, in action, right in front of you. We definitely have our good moments, but we're really working on thinking, before reacting, following directions, listening, and all of that fun stuff.

She is so much like me, it's scary. She rolls her eyes, she requires a constant supply of food, she makes the same faces I make (including the ones I wish I didn't make), she is independent and wants to do everything on her terms. Unlike me, she is incredibly brave--fearless, even. She does flips off the swing set, eagerly hopped on rides at the fair (whereas the one time I went on a ferris wheel, I was screaming so much that my dad had to have the operator let me off...I guarantee I was older than Isabella at the time).

This summer she has:
-learned to count to 100
-practiced writing numbers 1-10
-perfected writing the letter 's'
-been to summer camp one morning each week
-played piano with Josh (and Rosie when she was in town)
-learned how to control the TV remote (I'm not sure yet if that is a good thing)
-in her mind, learned how to read silently
-learned how to brush her own hair -- oh, by the way, I no longer judge you if your daughter's hair looks like a bird's nest because now I know, and will take bird's nest over screaming, just about any day.
-learned to pump her legs to swing
-helped Walter build the swing set
-decided (for the moment) that she wants to be a photographer, and told me that she and I can work together. I asked her what we should call our business and she said, "Isabella and Mama Photography".

Yesterday in the car,

"Mommy, I don't like that Isaac has so many appointments."
"I don't like it either, but remember, Isaac has a hard time learning things."
"I just wish he didn't have a hard time, and could do everything that I can do."

Believe me, I wish that too. She does have to go to more appointments than most kids, but she is usually very patient and cooperative. When we go to hospital for therapy, she gets to push all of the elevator buttons, so that usually makes her happy. I can tell she's been one too many therapy sessions when I overhear: "Isaac, you can have the train when you use your signs. No, you didn't use your signs. Sign, 'please'". Yep.

We have our good days, and our bad days, but I wouldn't trade her for the world.








1 comment:

  1. Wow does she look grown up, especially in that last picture!

    I think you should definitely start "Isabella and Mama Photography" - adorable :)

    ReplyDelete