Friday, April 19, 2013

Road Trip

Last week, the kids and I (and Stella) went on a little road trip to Columbus. Three humans and one very hairy forty pound dog, all stuffed with their crap into in a Honda Fit is probably a pretty comical sight to see, but we made it. I love my little car, but some day, I'm going to drive a big truck--a GMC Sierra.

My kids are wonderful little travelers, so I don't mind a two or three hour trip on my own. Isaac usually passes out and sleeps the whole way, and Isabella usually talks to herself. The iPad and DVD player, are reserved for longer trips, so they aren't allowed to have either one on a drive to Columbus. I feel like there is a decline in children being able to entertain themselves--which I find an invaluable skill--if technology is always at hand, self-entertainment is a hard lesson to learn.

For as long as I can remember, I've wanted to live in Columbus. It's where my grandparents live--so it's where I've always wanted to be. It makes me very happy knowing that Isaac and Isabella get to live right next door to one set of grandparents, and ten minutes away from the other set. In Isabella's words: "I love going to Oma's house, because then I get whatever I want." I suppose that is how one is supposed to feel with their grandparents.

Because blogger continues to be AWESOME, my pictures are out of order.












Our big news of the week: Isaac was accepted to receive a speech grant from Small Steps in Speech. We feel so blessed that this grant will give him the opportunity to attend twenty speech therapy appointments. Also, a few days ago, I finally made the decision to purchase the Touch Chat AAC app. I am still in the process of individualizing it for Isaac, but he is learning the program very quickly and I think it will be a wonderful communication tool for him.

If you have questions about applying for grants or finding a specific grant for your child, please let me know and I will be happy to help in whatever way I can. These grants are out there. It may take some digging, and definitely some time to write an essay, answer questions, and get documents from therapists/physicians, but it really is worth it. There have been a couple that we have not received, but so far, I've had more success than failure.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sierra,

    When you Jesse were little and teens there was no better place to go than Columbus to hang with the Grandparents!

    I hope Isabella and Isaac feel the same way about us, Papa and Gar

    ReplyDelete