Thursday, February 14, 2013

The Violin Sings...

My sister and I play this game where we say a quote from a movie, television show, book, and have the other one try to guess which movie the quote is from--Walter can't stand this game--if you know which movie the title of my post is quoted from you get Sierra and Jesse points (which means absolutely nothing). 

I used to play the violin, and actually, got pretty good at it once I decided that I wanted to be good at it. I guess that is the key to success--actually wanting it. I always thought I would have Isabella start violin lessons when she was three, and then decided that I didn't want to be one of those parents. I'm still not sure if I want to be the parent who forces daily practice time, corrects an incorrect bow hold, tweaks the wrist, attends weekly private lessons and twice monthly group lessons--I don't know. Either way, I feel like it's time to find out.

When I was in high school, I realized that the younger you begin purposefully developing your skill, the greater advantage you have. This became even more apparent when I auditioned for (and made it in as a second violinist) the Cleveland Contemporary Youth Orchestra. Those first violinists and concertmasters, they started lessons when they were three years old, and I was jealous. On the other hand, it gave me motivation to work harder, and to have two of the best private teachers throughout my violin education.

As a parent, I feel like it's hard to find a balance. Isabella is good at ballet, she seems to enjoy it quite a bit, and her teacher has said several times that she could see her eventually making it into the company. I take it all with a grain of salt. I want her to be successful, but I also want her to enjoy it. I suppose the time to stop, is the time she is no longer enjoying it. On the flip side, you see your child becoming successful, do you push them onward? You never know, there could be a college scholarship in their future, and we all know how expensive college is.

Saturday morning I took Isabella to observe a group Suzuki Violin lesson. We were both really looking forward to it, and it's a big deal for us to be anywhere by 8:00 a.m., so that goes to show how enthusiastic we were. It's a big commitment to go the Suzuki route, but it's also exciting, and I can already see that she would quickly surpass what I was able to achieve with the violin. Her learning and experience would be more rounded, and that makes me happy because I realize the opportunities she could have in the future...if she decided she wanted those opportunities. It seems like a toss of the coin...spend a fortune, give up monumental amounts of your time, and maybe, just maybe, your child will be the one who enjoys it, thrives, comes to love the feeling of the bow across the string, marvels at making a beautiful vibrato  and appreciates the components of performing a piece of music.

I'm looking forward to walking this path with her and discovering if it is something she will enjoy. If she really loves it, who knows, I may even dust off that violin under my bed and accompany her.

I do apologize for the lack of pictures on my posts lately. I'm in a slump--writing and photography included. Here's to hoping that the coming of spring reinvigorates me! 

3 comments:

  1. Good Morning Sierra,

    I of course can't remember a book after reading it or a movie after I have seen it so I have never been able to play this game.

    It is a struggle to figure out which road you want or can take with your children and their interests. You started violin in 5th grade. You started private lessons when you wanted to quit. That was our compromise with you. You needed to have private lessons in order to grow or quit. You chose private lessons for at least a year to see if you wanted to stay and you stayed with that teacher for several years. You loved it so much that you decided you would pay for special private lessons yourself in high school. You have talent so you may want to dust off the violin under the bed when you are ready.

    Love to you,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still miss my cello almost every day. I don't know that I ever want to join an orchestra or anything, but to just have one to play would be wonderful... I say, go for it. And when you start to notice that your daughter has lost all joy or passion for it, talk to her and ask her what she wants to do.
    To be honest, though, I can't imagine there is any "right" way to approach stuff like this.

    ReplyDelete