Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Sleepy Smiles

I guess Isaac was sufficiently tortured, I mean, challenged, at therapy today. A few hours later he took a three hour nap. I ended up holding him throughout the greater portion of the nap, and got to enjoy listening to him giggle in his sleep at one point.

Do you remember how your baby looked right after they'd finished a feeding? Completely drunk, and high on that wonderful breast milk. We used to laugh at Isabella after she finished nursing. Chubby cheeks flushed, body completely floppy, milk dribbling out of the corner of her mouth, dozing in perfect contentment, and then, to top it off, the corner of her mouth would twitch, and she'd smile. A perfect moment. I love sleepy smiles. Sometimes I watch Isabella while she sleeps, hoping that I might catch that little smile again.

I didn't get that experience with Isaac. He was always mad. Before a feeding, after a feeding, during a feeding, it didn't matter, and it was so frustrating. He rarely had that drunken, just breastfed, look of contentment. And he never smiled in his sleep. Probably because he hardly ever slept--he screamed instead. It is by God's grace alone that I survived.

It made me incredibly happy to hear Isaac giggle in his sleep today. I suppose it represents how far we've come and the amazing amount of progress we've made.

I promise he isn't signing 'Loser'. He's been working on signing 'see', and this is actually a very close approximation.



She made a necklace out of shrinky-dinks. Those things are so cool! 

We are now at a stage where I can ask Isabella to read to Isaac so that I can finish getting ready or whatever (productive) thing it is I'm doing. She's not actually reading the words (even though I tell her every day that she could read most of the "real" words). She has every book in our house memorized.

Until next time,

Sierra

2 comments:

  1. I love sleep laughs <3

    I randomly clicked one of the "you might also like" links at the bottom of the page, and reread this one:
    http://picturingtheordinary.blogspot.com/2012/10/my-response-to-article.html
    Isaac is also signing "loser" in one of the pictures in that post ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pics of you and Isabella! I love when they laugh in their sleep too. There have been a few times when we have heard Leo crack up in his sleep. He would stop for a minute and then start up again! It was really cute but, we went in to check on him because we started to wonder if there was someone in his room tickling him. I know that sounds kind of crazy, but I am good at freaking myself out when it comes to my kids. :)

    ReplyDelete