Monday, January 14, 2013

The McDonald's in My Life

Our property practically backs up to McDonald's. If I didn't like our house so much, and if I didn't enjoy living next door to my in-laws, this would have been a deal breaker. Who really wants to live next to McDonald's? I guess someone who likes eating at McDonald's, but that's not me.

The one exception to not eating at McDonald's, was during my pregnancy with Isaac. For some disgusting reason, I craved their french fries. Of course, Isabella thought that was the greatest thing ever, and Walter enjoyed laughing at the irony of me, eating fast food.

Several months ago, they demolished the McDonald's behind our house, and I kid you not, every single day, Isabella told me how excited she was they were going to build a new McDonald's. When we would pull out on our street to go somewhere, she would ask if we could drive by McDonald's to see if they were done building the new one. I was completely confused by her excitement because we don't even eat there. It seemed like each week I was reminding her that we don't eat at McDonald's because they don't make healthy food. And in the midst of that, she was learning how to read, and would tell me that she wanted to go to Taco Bell. Thank you fast food restaurants for making easy-to-read names for your unhealthy establishments.

Well, I lost in the battle to not eat at McDonald's. Walter took her for a father-daughter date while I was shooting a wedding. I told him he must have made her day, and he assured me that she didn't stop talking about how excited she was to be at the new McDonald's. The next morning she woke up and right off the bat, told me all about it. I listened, and was excited for her, and tried to forget the fact that their fries contain an anti-foaming agent.


Buzz Light Year is still a favorite...





We embraced the unusually warm winter weather by taking a hike on Saturday. 







2 comments:

  1. This cracks me up. Mr Chiots used to like McDonald's too - thankfully now he realizes he doesn't feel well after eating there. At least you know thta 99% of the time you're feeding her well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sierra,

    This cracks me up! When you were about 19 months old I drove through McDonald's (drive through was a whole new concept at the time) to pick up something to drink. You were in your car seat in the back yelling fries, fries, fries!!! I couldn't understand how you knew about fries and that they could come out of this window because we never ate at McDonald's. I found out that your babysitter drove through and got you and her son fries! You loved McDonald's fries!


    Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete