Monday, February 28, 2011

Some good news......

Yesterday afternoon we took a family trip to Lowes where after getting Isabella into the carseat as we were leaving, Walter said he would be put in a mental hospital if he had to take two kids to stores all the time. We actually had a very successful shopping trip though. Walter removed the bottom portion of the kitchen cabinet that was hanging over the island and it's really amazing how it's opened up the kitchen. Every time I walk in I'm surprised by how different it looks--I love it and now I have even more counter space to use! Sorry, I forgot to take a picture, but I promise it looks good.

A couple days ago we enjoyed yet another snow storm (I say that sarcastically). I woke to find our front window plastered with snow and ice to the point where we couldn't even see out of it. I just so happened to be in a funk all that day. Mainly because I was out of coffee, had hardly slept the night before, and we were in the midst of a snow storm where it was so windy that taking two kids out of the house just didn't sound appealing. But by three o'clock in the afternoon I was either going to fall asleep while I was reading stories to Isabella or we were going to go somewhere. So we went to Target, because falling asleep on the job really isn't an option. While were in Target Isabella overheard a mom disciplining her daughter who wouldn't stay seated in the cart. Isabella walked over and boldy announced, "my mommy just lets me walk around." Oh dear, now my three year old is trying to make another tired mother feel bad for her parenting. I quickly apologized for Isabella's comment and felt mortified but also felt a little cool because Isabella had just affirmed what an amazing mom I am.....that didn't last long. Shortly after the comment Isabella picked up a garden decoration and whacked the car seat where Isaac was sound asleep. Then she had to go to the bathroom which always takes forever; and then we'd walked back to the other side of the store she said she had to go to the bathroom again because for some reason that I do not understand, she can't pee and poop at the same time. By then what little patience I had was gone and once we got to the car I wasn't paying attention and opened the car door a little too fast and whacked her on the side of the head.....how's that for attesting to my awesomeness!

Last weekend Walter and I discussed ways in which we can make Isabella feel special since Isaac is getting so much attention and I'm trying to devote extra time to nursing him. We worked out that each of us would take Isabella on a date during the week, so yesterday I told Isabella that she and I could go to the pottery painting place with just me! She seemed excited about it but then told me that we could go in five minutes and then when I told her we should get ready to go she told me she was too busy and we could go another day. So we didn't go. Yeah, whatever, I let her walk all over me but I wasn't about to force her into doing something she didn't really want to do when it was supposed to be a fun thing for the two of us. I'll try again later this week.

I took Isabella to the dentist last week and she did really well! Before we went I explained everything that would happen but I was still a little unsure of how she would react in the situation. Over a year ago I took her to a pediatric dentist and it was fairly traumatic and I wasn't that impressed with the dentist so this time I just took her my dentist and they were wonderful! They explained everything to Isabella and showed her all of the tools they would use and let her touch them--it was great and she was so brave! Since the appointment she keeps asking me if her teeth are still sparkly and I assure her that yes, they are still very sparkly.

Thursday we had a follow up appointment with Dr. Gosain, Isaac's plastic surgeon. He was so pleased with Isaac's head and how he is healing that I felt relieved to finally have some good news about Isaac. They took more pictures and said that because of the drastic transformation they want to use Isaac's case and pictures on his website. Pretty cool, right! And the best news of all.....we no longer need to use the helmet!!!!!! Next November Isaac will have another CT to see how the skull is forming/growing but until then we won't see Dr. Gosain.


A picnic....



new shoes and tights....


After all of our sickness I decided that all of the toys needed to be washed....


Isaac waves at his reflection and claps for himself.....and chews on the oven drawer (don't worry, I cleaned it)......


Isaac is extremely cuddly. He loves to snuggle and give hugs and giving them to Isabella is no exception.....





While Sarah went to an appointment last week, we watched Charlotte, and Isaac was more than happy to have two cute girls paying attention to him.......



Isaac spends much of the day flapping his arms......


At story-time.....



Aren't they the most fashionable girls ever?!

 And when they actually get along it's really nice.....





At the dentist!





Isaac loves going through the toy baskets.....


It doesn't take him long to dump everything out......


He's a snuggle puppy.....




Opa tries to hide from pictures.

They're actually starting to play together!




a babushka.......



poor polly pocket


Isabella and I started our first batch of seedlings! She's been wanting to plant sunflowers so that's all we have planted so far. As we covered the seeds up with dirt she said, "we'll see you when you bloom!" And as soon as she woke up this morning she told me she needed to go in the basement to check on them. 



Isabella's phrase last week (that she would say randomly) was, "never fear, Isabella is here!" Unfortunately, Isaac did have fear when she spontaneously tickled him, which is just another word for attacked him. I think Isaac is feeling a lot happier now that he can move around on his own a bit. He's starting to let me out of his sight every once in a while and there hasn't been quite as much screaming from him. On Wednesday he will have his first evaluation at the Cleveland Clinic's Feeding Disorders Program. As far as I know he will have occupational therapy once a week for one hour. I'll let you know how it goes and what we find out! 

3 comments:

  1. Yay for good news! I loved this post and all of the positivity :)

    I think Maya and Isabella are destined to start their own fashion design company!

    Can't wait to see Isabella's beautiful sunflowers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm SO excited to hear about Isaac's progress and the fact that the Dr wants to use him as an example!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think Isaac is flapping his arms (2nd color shot of him). I think he's demonstrating his tub-reading skills.

    ReplyDelete