Thursday, December 12, 2013

Forced Coloring

Most days, I am bewildered by Isabella. I can't really figure her out in terms of what motivates her and what she enjoys aside from playing. If a kid could win a "Best at Independent and Creative Play Award" she would have that one in the bag. I sign her up for various activities mainly because they sound fun, and also because she's not attending a school where they churn out perfectly socialized children (if you don't know me, please note the sarcasm). After all, I don't want my kid to be the weird one. So, I signed her up for a ten week art enrichment class provided by the art education students at Kent State University. Every week she'd walk out of class appearing a bit too underwhelmed for all of the effort I put into driving her there and back, so we talked about the class and whether she liked it or not. She said, "I just don't like people forcing me to color." It must be rough being six.

Even though those mean college students forced her to color, she was thrilled to show off her art work to her grandparents.





In case you can't tell, this mask is Walter, laughing.






The art show was a little too much for Isaac to handle. After we got home it took him an hour to recover from this "deer in headlights" expression.



1 comment: