Monday, August 13, 2012

Leaving the nest

This week my brother will go off to college. Unfortunately, I can't be there to help him move in and offer a proper send off, which makes me very sad, but we have a chance to meet the family that is paying for all of Isaac's therapy, and it's an opportunity we cannot miss. 

Josh, whether he agrees or not, had the privilege of growing up with three mothers: my mom, my sister, and I. We all bossed him around and told him what he should and shouldn't do. Although, I don't think any one of us bossed him around more than Jesse. He was her slave.

I was ten years old when Josh was born. My sister and I were at his birth, which meant that I missed health class on the day they discussed reproduction for the first time. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that viewing a baby being born was a bit more educational.  

Josh was often parked in our room to "play school". He was our student and you'd better believe we made him listen to every word we said. He was left with us while we practiced our instruments and entertained him with our musical talents, or made his head hurt. He accompanied us when shopping for homecoming and prom dresses, and later, a wedding dress. He had to sit through countless band and orchestra concerts, recitals, graduations, etc. He was often sent into the family room to check up on Walter and I. Trust me, he wasn't very discreet about it: "Mom and dad just want to know what you're doing?" 

Jesse with her pupil

Man am I glad dad got a hair cut and new glasses

Josh and I
 Josh and Jesse
 Hmmmm

Mom, are you crying yet?  

 Mom and Josh

Until Josh was born, I was the favorite (I'm totally kidding. At that point Jesse and I were probably neck and neck for first place). Since then, he's trumped all of us. Because he got all A's on his report card one year, he was rewarded with an XBox. Jesse and I were rewarded with a hug. A hug. Don't even get me started on his curfew. He probably even got more mental health days than we did. My dad's a psychologist, he believes in mental health days...it's a day you get to take off from school when you're feeling overwhelmed. You're jealous, aren't you. 

Well, in all honesty, he probably deserves "the favorite award". He's a great guy, how could he not be with two older sisters to boss him around, and he's super smart, and pretty good looking...this is turning into a personal ad for my brother...

Anyway, these are some pictures I took as part of Josh's senior photo shoot. Mom, don't get too excited, I only picked out a few to edit, so they aren't done yet. 


I bet she's crying by now.









 Isabella took this picture, and Josh was told to hold up the star fish...

Good luck, Josh. We'll miss you but we know you'll have tons of fun. And you're only two hours away, so we'll come and bug you plenty of times.

Love,

Sierra, Walter, Isabella, Isaac, and Stella

p.s. All the cool people transfer after their freshman year. ;)


1 comment:

  1. I love this post! So sweet, *I* almost teared up! I think the picture that Isabella took is awesome, and I totally get what she was thinking with the star; it was very important to the composition.

    His senior pics are great! My favorite is the first large b/w one :D

    ReplyDelete