Friday, August 10, 2012

Definite Dysfunction

I was given the write-up from Isaac's OT Evaluation and it sat in my car for a few days, because that's what happens to things that enter my car, they get sucked in and forgotten about. Don't worry, I bring my kids in the house. Last night, after I sifted through some junk, I found the paperwork, along with the information for the parenting class that I'm supposed to "strongly consider" in order to deal with Isaac's behaviors. From a sensory perspective, Isaac is considered "typical" in a couples areas, has "some problems" in a couple other areas, and "DEFINITE DYSFUNCTION" in a few other areas.

I've read a fair amount over the past year about sensory-processing disorders, and guess what? Me, myself, and I, experience definite dysfunction in the area of auditory processing. I'm being a tad facetious here, but to be completely honest, when Walter chews gum, or picks up one of those mints upon leaving a restaurant and I hear his teeth crushing it up on the way home, I want to scream. In an effort to help him become more empathetic toward my dysfunction, I told him a few weeks ago that when he does things like that, eats hard candies, chews gum, makes any sound repeatedly, it feels like tiny worms are crawling across my brain.

I thought that impressing upon him the idea of worms in my brain would make him think twice about that mint--it didn't. My family feels bad for Walter because I make him watch TV at lowest possible volume setting, but I think everyone should try to imagine worms on their brain, and then maybe they would understand.

Don't worry, Isaac. I get it. Maybe when people talk to you, look at you, or God forbid, touch you, maybe then you feel the worms too.

2 comments:

  1. I can relate to this - same issues here. As a highly sensitive person just about everything drives me completely insane. Loud noises, repetitive noises, strong scents, big crowds, being surprised, etc.

    Worms on the brain - great way to explain it to someone, I'll have to remember that. It's a good thing you can empathize with Isaac, should go a long way in making his life a little less wormy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I have this new information, I will be more careful while chewing gum around you ;) Wouldn't want to cause worms on the brain!

    I think I have somewhat average sensory perception, but after a full day of words coming at my head, I get the "I want to throw something at the wall" sensation.

    ReplyDelete