Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Stuff

Thursday night Isaac was crabby and when he's crabby and I'm crabby, it usually means it's a good time to go for a drive. Walter finished up Isabella's bedtime routine and Isaac and I headed out. I thought, "who can I go visit at 9:00 p.m." Why, my parents, of course! Obviously they love to see me at any time of day. Right? Right. My mom, brother, and sister were sitting outside and I plopped down and said, "I feel like I am walking through thick, gooey, sticky mud this week, and I can't get out of it." The mud this week isn't nearly as thick, but I think it will be good for Walter and I to get away next week for our first trip without the kids. Yes, I'm excited. Yes, I'm nervous. And yes, I'm already sad about leaving Isaac. Okay, I'm sad about leaving Isabella too, but she pretty self sufficient these days. 

Wedding season started a couple weeks ago, and after the first one wiped me out for a couple days, I decided it was time to reunite with Tony Horton and get back into my workout routine. He creamed me, and it was painful. If you want to check out some of our wedding photography, go to Grooms are People Too. When I got home from last week's wedding, Isaac was still awake and held out his arms and said, "DA DA!" Um, no. But I missed you, so I'll forgive you.  

Sunday evening Isabella helped Papa with some gardening....












Isaac watched with a very grumpy look on his face. This picture doesn't appropriately capture his grumpy face. He was happier when he pooped about an hour later.



Then he got a hair cut so that we could lose a little of the Einstein look.



He was very worried about his loss of hair and kept checking that he still had hair on his head.


That night, Isaac let me hold his hands and walk behind him. He walked around my parent's house two times!

I keep forgetting to mention that Isaac and I have been taking a sign language class. Since his speech therapy is on hold until we're able to co-treat with physical therapy, this has been a wonderful opportunity to learn more sign language and it's almost like speech therapy and sign language wrapped into one. AND, the teacher comes to our house. So it doesn't get much better than that. Isaac's speech is definitely improving and he has a more diverse variety of sounds, but signing has been going really well, and at this point he probably effectively communicates more with signs than with one vowel sound for what he's trying to tell us. When we ask him he wants a wagon ride, he will usually say, "wa" or "whee", and when we ask him if he wants to swing, he says, "whee!" and uses his own sign for swing. Most animals simply growl. When he wants to watch a movie he says, "moo"--I wrote that and it made me laugh out loud. I continue to drill him on body parts, shapes, colors, animals, etc., all the things I took for granted that Isabella knew by the time she was two. We'll get there.

For today, remember how blessed you are, special needs or not, by what your child has knowledge of and the skills they possess.

Happy Tuesday,

Sierra

2 comments:

  1. Sierra, We love you and your family. You are welcome to drop by anytime of the day or night. Rain, hail, sleet, snow, middle of the night whatever, we will be here for you and your family.

    Love Always,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn [a.k.a. the coolest babysitter who used to spin and dance with your lovely children]May 11, 2012 at 11:14 PM

    I love hearing about Isaac's progress! As an almost-SLP, I feel it's necessary for an informal observation (or just an excuse for you and Walter to have an afternoon off so I can see the kids). :]

    ReplyDelete