Monday, December 6, 2010

Happy 27th Birthday to me!

Written yesterday and I don't feel like changing the tense, so pretend it's still Sunday...

Walter surprised me and let me sleep in this morning! There's only two things I want for my birthday this year: uninterrupted sleep and an uninterrupted shower...IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR?! The answer is, YES. Oh well. Do you want to know what I got to do after I woke up on this beautiful, snowy, birthday morning...give Isaac a suppository. Yeah, that's right, no need to re-read that last sentence. Of course I never thought that on my twenty-seventh birthday I would be giving my baby a suppository, but life is full of surprises, right? After some intense and massive pooping, Isaac and I sat down on the couch to recover. Isabella came over and started violently tickling Isaac (that's her new thing..."TICKLE TICKLE TICKLE BUDDY MAN! I'M GOING TO TICKLE YOU!") so I said, "Isabella, Isaac needs to relax, he just had a really hard poop." "Well, what color was it?" "It was yellow, and it was a lot." "Ooooooooooo!"

*******************************************************************************

Our house is still a bunch of revolving doors and beds each night. Next week we're taking down the crib because it's just taking up space and Isaac has slept in it for maybe an hour since he was born. In its place we'll put a full size bed, which I think will work out quite well for our sleep situation. Most nights Isabella wanders into our room at some point. These are a couple of our night-time conversations:

She crawled into bed and wrapped her arms around me and said, "I love you mommy." "I love you too Isabella, you're my special girl." "and you're my special mommy." And then she fell asleep.

Another night, I left the room to nurse Isaac and after I came back she said, "mommy, I fixed your pillow because it was a little mixed up. Now we can snuggle together." After we snuggled for a few minutes she said, "mommy, how about I put my head on my own pillow and you put your head on your pillow." I thought that was a great idea because I don't really like people touching me while I sleep.

*******************************************************************************

If you haven't picked up on this already, Isaac is a really hard baby to be around day in and day out. I know, he's cute, and sweet, and has a great smile, and snorts a lot which makes me laugh, but he also doesn't sleep, cries and fusses most of the day, must be held and if I'm not holding him I have to sit right next to him on the floor while I read or work on the computer. With that said, you'll understand why when I walked away from him the other morning to get my coffee in the kitchen, and as usual, he started screaming because I walked away and wasn't sitting on the floor staring at him, I was thinking, there he goes again, always screaming, I can't even go into the kitchen, what is WRONG with him, all I want to do is get my COFFEE, doesn't he know I'll be a better mom after I have my COFFEE...so I was thinking all of these negative thoughts and not feeling sorry for him in the least and then I walked back in the living-room to find him toppled over sideways with his head planted on a hard plastic toy. Yeah, not my best moment. After I comforted him, I told him he needed to learn how to crawl.

Speaking of his head hitting the floor and/or toys, some people have asked if the helmet is for protection. Trust me, if that were the case, I would go out and buy a $25.00 bike helmet. The plastic surgeon wants to encourage the skull to grow in such a way that it would round out the frontal bone with the top of his head. Right now, it slopes a little bit. Which most people probably don't even notice, but we're trying to achieve the best result possible combined with the surgery and also the helmet therapy. The helmet will have a snug fit to the back of his head and apply some pressure to his forehead, along with a carved out portion at the top, inside of the helmet, forcing the skull growth to that specific spot. I assure you, a bike helmet is much cheaper and much less effort on our part and the orthotist's part. Of course when I walked into the office and found Isabella trying to carry Isaac across the room, I was thinking for my own peace of mind he could really use a helmet! Don't worry, she said she was just trying to be "a good big sister".

********************************************************************************

And finally, what did I learn in my twenty-sixth year:

--I won't die if I eat broccoli (thanks Sandy!)
--Our family is one hundred percent, without a doubt, COMPLETE, so don't ever ask me if I've having another baby or I'll punch you...okay, so I might not punch you but according to Walter I have an amazing ability to scowl, so you'll be on the receiving end.
--Pacifiers aren't evil. In fact the pacifier is my new best friend.
--I love taking pictures more than ever.
--I don't mind eating left-overs. Actually, if it weren't for left-overs I might starve.
--It takes longer to lose the baby-weight with the second, but it's possible.
--I can love two babies equally.
--I want to be a photographer.
--Having a garage and garage door opener is a luxury that I never want to live without.
--Central A/C is amazing.
--I like, actually love, living in a single story home.
--Having a first baby is hard but having a second is even harder.
--Life was really easy with just Isabella.
--Laura Mercier makes the best tinted moisturizer I've ever used.
--One can never go wrong with Clinique mascara.
--Instant coffee isn't so bad but only if it's from Starbucks.
--If you wait, it will happen: sleep, potty training...etc.
--I'm artist and I'm cool with that. Actually, I'm really excited about it.

*********************************************************************************






This picture is called, Gaining Immunities from Dirty Library Toys.

Probably anyone reading this who cleans toys with sanitizing wipes first is appalled by these pictures, but all I care about is that he's happy. Trust me, germs are the least of my worries! Actually, I try to subject my children to as many germs as possible. That's why I haven't mopped my floor in a very long time and I let Isaac chew on the table at Panera and yes, one time I turned around at store and found Isabella licking the floor...now that was gross, but as far as I can tell, she doesn't have any horrible diseases!



Two Fashionistas


And, One Cute Charlotte

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday (again!) :) I love your picture titles! I agree with you ~ you are an amazing artist and photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sierra, You are an amazingly DEDICATED, diligent teacher-nurse mom! You have had a very exhausting year, but thank God that Isaac and Isabella are such darling and bright children. May God continue to increase your stamina in this marathon "race". The photos in this and ISABELLA'S 3rd birthday blogs, ARE COOL. Kevin said that you could submit pics to a photo contest of cute kids.(The "amazed, bright-eyed" pic, after the caption "Happy Birthday" like Sarah posted, is ONE of my favs.) Can't wait to see more of your photo work.

    ReplyDelete