Friday, July 26, 2013

Baby Spoon, Big Spoon

I distinctly remember certain milestones from my childhood. One in particular, stood out to me last week when Isabella told me she didn't want a "baby" spoon, she wanted a "big" spoon. As inconsequential as it may sound, compared to bra shopping, or shaving for the first time, I remember moving from the so-called baby spoon, to the bigger, or, adult spoon. Maybe it's because I take eating my cereal seriously. I actually have cereal withdraw if I've gone an entire day without that bowl of carb-filled goodness. Lately, I try to make eggs several mornings a week, but by bedtime, I have to have a bowl of cereal or else I lie in bed thinking about it. From one cereal eater to another, let's just agree that the spoon is important.

These moments, like Isabella requesting the bigger spoon, catch me off guard. I stop for a moment and see how much and how quickly she is growing, and it's just plain scary. She told me she has a wiggly tooth, and later, as I told Walter about it, my eyes welled with tears. Sometimes, as we are about to embark on first grade, and lost teeth, and (soon) full fledged independent reading, I want to hit a pause button. I feel like there are things I already want to do over again, or situations I wish I'd handled differently. I'll always strive to be a better parent and I daily strive to make her feel safe, and loved, and cherished. I can't say I always make her happy, because we are definitely in a stage where by the end of the day, I feel I've lost more points than I've gained, but I know she has fun every single day, whether she wants to admit to it or not.


********************************************************************************
Part One of our vacation, mostly in pictures.

On the way to Lake Keuka, we stopped in Salamanca, which is part of the Seneca Reservation, and visited the Rail Museum.








Heading to the water for the first time:

As Walter read to them tonight, Isaac fell asleep in Isabella's arms, instead of my own. So, in the midst of melt-downs about life's unfairness, or emotions that run high just because she's six, and it seems being six is quite challenging, I remember that her heart is full of goodness and kindness.





This picture is probably making my mom freak out. Don't worry, Walter is holding on to the kayak and the front of the kayak is still on land.


People with g-tubes and ear tubes are not allowed in lake water (not that Isaac would actually go in water voluntarily anyway) due to the bacteria in the water. He was happy to remain on shore.




Before going to Bully Hill Winery for lunch, we were able to stop at Sommerville Pottery, where I was very excited to replace one of my favorite mugs that I purchased from them three years ago (unfortunately, that mug fell from the kitchen cabinet and broke). We had a wonderful visit at their shop, and after asking, they were happy to give us a full fledged demonstration of using the potter's wheel.

Bully Hill Winery: 








First time in a kayak: 




 Mini golf in a corn field, and completely to ourselves. This was perfect for Isaac who chose to stay on one green for a significant amount of time. I'm not sure how his lack of mini golf etiquette would have worked out otherwise.





2 comments:

  1. 1. You look like a movie star in your swimsuit pics. I mean that in a completely platonic way :)
    2. Isabella is way too grown up. A kayak??? For real??? Awesome.
    3. I love Isaac's mini-golf stance. He is pretty adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sexy lady!!! Love the bathing suit!

    And Isabella...my goodness how she has grown in the few months I have been gone. I wish I could freeze time with her too. Especially because I worry that by the time I get home she will think she's "too old" to sit in my lap and cuddle. That's one of those next milestones that will break my heart. And Isaac doesn't let anyone touch him so that idea is thrown out the window.

    I don't remember the spoon (cereal isn't too important to me)...I do however distinctly recall wanting the adult menu and not the kid menu with crayons. It's funny what signifies growing up.

    ReplyDelete