Saturday, June 15, 2013

We Have Chickens!

We never want life to become too slow or boring, so just to make things extra interesting, we decided to get chickens. The chicken idea came up over a year ago, when I ultimately said "no way" to chickens, and this year we revisited the idea, and I gave Walter the go ahead to work on a coop. We re-purposed a shed and turned it into a nice little home for our ten chickens. The only thing we had to purchase for this project was the fencing--how great is that? 

Sarah has been wanting to get chickens, so when we decided to move forward on the chicken project, I suggested we split the cost, and the eggs, and get five chickens each, and house all of them in our coop. Now we are enjoying joint chicken custody. 













"Now take a picture while I act like a chicken!"

Much to my surprise, Isabella chose to take a road trip with my parents to Columbus yesterday, instead of joining us to pick up the chicks from the chicken farm. She insisted that she "just needed to see her grandmas." I can't argue with that, so off she went, happy as a clam to have her own adventure.

Meanwhile, Sarah and I loaded the kids into her van, where Isaac was very upset that we'd moved his car seat and put it in a different car. Thankfully, once we were on the freeway, and he realized I wasn't abandoning him, he stopped crying. Getting the chickens was relatively painless, and as pulled out with the chickens in the back, we were certain this was either going to be a great idea, or a terrible idea, and we hoped they didn't die on the way home. I still can't believe we have chickens.

So far, Maya is the only one to actually touch a chicken. She bravely picked one up out of the bin whereas Sarah and I "gently" dumped them out. They moved as one and huddled in a corner, piled on top of each other.



A few hours later they became more adventurous, and this morning they are full of life and entertainment.












The chickens are eight weeks old, and these are the different breeds we have:

Plymouth Barred Rock (2) 

Rhode Island Red

Cinnamon Queen(2) 

Speckled Sussex 

Silver Wyandotte

Golden Laced Wyandotte

Columbian Wyandotte

Plymouth White Rock


More chicken information next time! 

4 comments:

  1. Congrats, you're going to love having chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG this is amazing. You guys are crazy...seriously. I can't wait to face time with the chickens!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AH!!!! I've always wanted chickens!! So jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This Chicken Coop reminds me of my Grandma's in the Holler of West Virginia.

    Love you Mom

    ReplyDelete