Saturday, May 4, 2013

Scratch my eyeballs out

When I was younger (because I'm so old now), my mom used to say, don't rub your eyes, if you do have to rub your eyes, do so gently, wear sunglasses when outside, and don't wear make-up to bed. I almost always abide by those rules, which are set in place for eye protection and avoidance of wrinkles. To this day, I feel guilty if I don't wash my face before going to bed, and Walter often makes fun of me for wearing sunglasses when the sun is barely showing, and you'd better believe I don't rub my eyes...until this week. I've never been one to experience this allergy business that people complain of...until this week. I've checked many times to see if fleas are living in my eyeballs, because I'm fairly certain they are the only thing on earth that could cause my eyes to itch this badly. Most of this week my thought process has led me to consider scratching my eyeballs out, which then leads to a personal pity party, drugs (the legal kind, supposedly aimed at treating this allergy business), and then make-up application so that I don't look like I'm doing the illegal kind of drugs (or just spending a lot time crying, which is what my mother-in-law thought when she saw me this morning), and also so that I stop rubbing my eyes. It's been fabulous. And basically, I'm using my blog as a platform on which to complain, since I'm pretty sure Sarah is tired of hearing me complain to her. Just when I thought I'd experienced the worst of it, I woke up with hives on my face yesterday. 

Moving on. 

Two years ago, Walter and I decided we wanted to grow a garden. I began my research, and that is how I stumbled upon Chiot's Run, written by Susy, who is a really amazing and inspirational gardener. Coincidentally, Susy and her husband, are videographers, and I had the chance to meet her at a wedding and I've enjoyed following her blog for the past two years. Our garden did well that first year, mainly due to the attention from my mother-in-law since that was the spring and summer that everything regarding Isaac's health and delays came to light. We had other things on our mind, and the last thing I could focus on was whether or not a tomato was ready for picking. I was focused on whether or not Isaac would actually consume eight ounces of liquid throughout an entire day. Bad times, my friends. 

Last year we didn't do much of anything in the garden. But this year, we're going full speed ahead, and so far so good.  




I love the moment a little seedling makes its first appearance above soil.


Isabella is actually very helpful in the garden. She enjoys digging up weeds, and raking over the soil once I turn it. I am the tiller of the earth.

A list of what we're growing:

Seeds from Botanical Interests:

Linaria - Fairy Bouquet
Marigold - Lemon Drop
Marigold - African Crackerjack
Rudbeckia - Black Eyed Susan
Onion - Ringmaster
Kale - Nero Toscana
Sage - Broadleaf
Basil - Greek Yevani
Basil - Italian Genovese
Thyme - English
Grass - Little Bluestem
Lavender - English Tall
Lavender - Hyssop
Echinacea - PowWow Wild Berry
Echinacea - Purple Coneflower
Zinnia - Cut and Come Again
Pepper - Sweet Cherry Blend
Tomato - Italian Roma
Tomato - Cherry, Sun Gold
Tomato - Better Bush
Jupiter's Beard - Centurion Shield


Sunflower - Teddy Bear
Sunflower - Flash Blend

Sunflower - Lemon Queen
Verbena - Brazilian Vervain
To direct sow:
Mache
Carrot - Danvers 126
Spinach - Lavewa
Edamame - Butterbean
Spinach - Monstrueux de Viroflay
Broccoli - Di Cicco
Lettuce - Buttercrunch
Lettuce - Little Gem, Romaine

Pea - Shelling, Progress #9
Pea - Shelling, Green Arrow (I thought it would be really fun to shell peas with the kids)


Seeds from Renee's Garden:

French Rosemary
Lavender - Spanish
Peppers - Jewel-Tones Bell Peppers
Sunflower - Music Box
Sunflower - Heirloom Titan
Sunflower - Snack Seed
To direct sow:
Zucchini - Dark Green Raven
Crookneck Squash - Sunny Supersett
Bush Beans - Classic Slenderette
Poppy Iceland...Just because they're pretty

Oddly enough, I'm not a big vegetable eater, but I'm trying really hard to diversify my eating habits (I'm a carnivore through and through), and this summer I plan to experiment with salads and salad dressings. Walter will eat anything,  but it will also be very nice to have food on hand for Isaac's blenderized meals. I love using herbs, and all of the flowers are meant to limit how much we have to spend on filling in our front of the house garden space.


Starting seeds definitely takes time and they require a fair amount of attention. In the above picture, they were all receiving some exercise time with a fan blowing on them. Our office has been a virtual greenhouse for a few weeks now, and I'll be happy once I can move everything outside, but it is very exciting to watch everything grow, and each morning I wake up looking forward to checking on the little seedlings. Walter asked if I've had an audience of bunnies watching me prepare the garden. I'm sure they will be lining up at the edge of the woods ready to devour anything and everything. We're still deciding on whether or not to put a fence around the garden, or just plant enough for all of us to share--assuming we have bunnies who have graduated from the toddler stage, and don't mind sharing a head of lettuce, or two.

For now, we just have to protect ourselves from the pirates.




 Our woods are alive...



I thought about editing out the snot, drool, and dirt from his face, but that just wouldn't be an accurate portrayal of life, now would it?


3 comments:

  1. Those sunglasses and not rubbing your eyes will provide you with skin that is not wrinkled before it's time!

    I do have some eye drops for allergies that I will give you.

    We can't wait for the Pirates to arrive!

    Love you,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Great pictures!!

    I hope your face feels better :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your seedlings are amazing :) I hope that your eyes were feeling better today ~ I know I don't have fleas here d/t lack of pets, but I do keep checking mine for pink-eye. I love spring, I do not love pollen :P

    ReplyDelete