Thursday, April 24, 2014

Isaac Turns Four

It took two years of physical therapy before he would sit on the trampoline in the therapy room. Then almost another year of occupational therapy before he would tentatively stand on the trampoline that is barely inches off the ground. After years of work to build his confidence, help him gain his footing and become more aware of the strength and ability of his own body, he is able to do it on his own. He's still a little unsure as he takes his first steps on the therapy trampoline, but now that he has experienced the freedom of jumping and inevitable silliness, and the positive input to his muscles, he loves it. So when he spoke the words he never would have been able to say exactly one year ago, my eyes filled with tears and I expressed my joy quite loudly. It was ten o'clock at night and he sat snuggled on Walter's lap and said, "Ma. Me birday, me bounce house." "You want a bounce house for your birthday!" I exclaimed. "Yeah, me bounce house." I was determined to get a bounce house for my birthday boy. At three he spoke a collection of ten words. On the brink of four, he joins one sentence after another. It is unbelievable. This is joy.



My parent's neighbors readily agreed to let us borrow their bounce house. We chose not to invite friends for those first few days, this way Isaac would have a chance to become a confident bouncer. He's always been afraid to get in a bounce house because of the number of other kids in it at the same time, so we wanted this just for him. At first he only bounced on his bottom, and refused to go down the slide, but within a couple hours he was bouncing and sliding like a mad man. A little too intensely actually. He ended up with scratches on his face and was completely exhausted that evening. But he had a blast and that's all that matters.







 During the week leading up to his birthday, Isaac repeatedly told me he wanted an "ego, piduh man toy" (Lego Spider-man toy). His hands were shaky with excitement as he opened presents literally searching for a Lego Spider-man...thankfully he was given two Lego Spider-man toys to which he shouted, "COOL!" and "AWESOME!"





 Isaac loves all sports and is especially into basketball, so we surprised him with his very own basketball hoop.

Get ready to take a shot...

Shoot...
 
Score! "Two points!"

Cheer for yourself...

That last picture might as well be me. This has been a tremendous year for our family and Isaac is proving that he is quite capable of success. I'm excited for this fourth year and look forward to Isaac becoming even more verbal and articulate, possibly learning to walk down stairs, drinking a variety of flavors from a cup, and I don't know what else because I just follow Isaac's lead. God has great plans for Isaac and He has taught us to find our blessings in the little things and to live in the moment.


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your journey with Isaac. He (and you!) inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sierra, I can't wait till dad and I can come down and watch Isaac bounce!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sierra, Dad and I can't wait till we can come down and watch Isaac bounce in person!!

    Joy, Joy, Joy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an Isaac too! Born April 9, 2010 with metopic craniosynostosis. This cranio mom is praying for you!

    ReplyDelete